Friday, November 7, 2008

Obama in France

The morning newspaper said that 85 % of french people liked Obama. I found this interesting and we spoke about it for while in class this morning. They are interested in the historical aspect of the election. France has never been segregated and yet there are prejudices such that a black president is not something that is possible yet in the foreseeable future. But they see the US, where segregation has only been illegal for 50 years have a black president, it interests them. We also discussed about pride. France does not seem to have a lot of pride for their country. You will not see a lot of French flags flying (except during a soccer match). French soldiers go to war because they have to, not because they feel that they are fighting for their nation. When asked here what I think of Obama, I reply that we will see in four years. I have heard many criticisms of George Bush, but at one time he had one of the highest approval ratings ever. He had to deal with some things that he couldn't control, i. e. the Sept. 11th terrorist attacks, Hurricane Katrina, the financial crisis. So in four years we will see what Obama has to face.
On another note, I feel like I have a lot to do. Homework, research, finances, etc. but this is Friday and I think I will relax and spend time with the family. Speaking of which, there is a two year old boy sitting next to me that needs to be tickled. God bless, JASON

No comments: