Sunday, January 6, 2008

One week in.

We had our first sunday services today. They went well. We studied Acts 13:1-4 and Acts 14:21-28, about our plans here, patterning Pauls Examples. It is unusual walking 20 minutes and taking a 15 minute train ride to Church, but that is life here. We are trying to get used to shopping a lot. Many people go to the store almost every day. Things are a little more expensive and you get a little less. Our grocery bill for the first week was over $300. We were expection $250. That should get a little lower, since we now have some basics. The exchange rate really gets you. I got 200 euros out of the bank and it ends up being $295. That kind of hurts, but we new this when we were preparing, and God sure knew it. I am amazed daily by the French. They are not thought of as being "nice" and yet I have yet to see an elderly person have to stand up on the bus or subway. Someone always offers them a seat. Today, I went the local grocery store to purchase some items, after ringing all of the stuff it came out to 16,92 euros (note" the French swap the period and the comma in numbers). The store would not take my card and all I had was 16,42 including all my change. Right when I was picking what to put back and lady in the line gave ,50 to cover the costs. I look forward to seeing more ways in the future. Right now, I am going to bed, Angie and I and the kids start school tommorrow and we need sleep. I am ready to speak french. I get tired of giving that deer in the headlights look when someone says something to me :). Bonne Nuit. JASON

No comments: