Friday, January 18, 2008

Communicating







Ok so hello from me! I thought I would share a little with you all. So far things are going well considering all the change we have gone through. It is difficult to be in a place where you can't understand what people are saying to you. Several times people have approached me and asked me questions (usually directions or the time) and I can't decipher what they are saying so I politely apolgize and say in French, "I am learning French", then some of them ask the question in English (which is why I know what the questions were). When Jason was down by the street waiting for Lilia's friend to be dropped by- just as Keisha and her mom stopped by a man walking by began to speak to Jason and he didn't have any idea what he was saying. Debbie (Keisha's mom) said, "He wants to know if this trashcan is yours." Jason responded with "no" and the man went on. Jason asked Debbie how she caught all that he said. She said she mainly caught the word "poubelle" for trashcan. At the bank I went after Jason to sign the papers. I had no appointment so the kind lady who spoke english was not available. So because I had not practiced any vocabulary before I went it took me a little while to figure out what to say. Finally I remembered the word for need and I could say I need signature:( and saying Excuze moi for not bieng able to think of what to say. Thankfully they were kind and did not seem frustrated with me. I did get them signed and thanked them and left. Today at school we had a test over all the things we have learned so far. Monday we will see how we are doing. I know there are 4or 5 I missed. Lilia had a test today on how to spell all the numbers 1-20. She thought it was just going to be 11-20. She wasn't too upset about her mistake. I think she learned last night that this is going to take more studying at home. I think she is right. Tomorrow Virginie (the new friend) is taking me to the store to get some things. It will be nice to have the car for the heavy things and to be able to stock up a little. Our kids are always hungry. I can't imagine what it must be like to have teenagers. Oh and enjoy the picture of Lilia and Keisha in the tiny elevator. Thanks for all your prayers. ANGIE

No comments: